Vertical 5 Axis Mill Operator
Company: Elliott Group
Posted on: September 18, 2023
Overview & Responsibilities
To set up and operate manual and CNC Lathes, vertical keyseater and
5 Axis mill to perform a variety of turning, boring, facing,
milling, grooving, slotting, keyway machining, and all required set
up of 5 Axis milling machine for finished milled component parts
for turbines, compressors, or any Elliott manufactured parts.
Primarily completion of impeller machining.
Tools and Equipment
-Vertical Boaring Mills, Vertical Keyseater and CNC 5 Axis Mill.
Various cutting tools and measuring devices such as micrometers,
dial indicators, depth gages, blocks, clamps, shims, fixtures,
small hand tools, lubricants, jib hoists, overhead crane, fork lift
truck, or any other material handling equipment, pedestal tool
grinders, deburring, polishing, and finishing tools, steel
stencils, keyway cutters, rotating positioner, polishing arbors and
materials, keyseating cutters, CNC tapes, tool setting equipment,
micro computers, measuring devices, in process and inspection
-Blast materials, ferrous and non-ferrous material, steam,
detergent, oil, cleaning fluid, abrasive cloth, oil sealer,
blasting media, air, cyanide, brine.
- Receives detailed instructions from supervision.
- Received parts to be machined and detailed drawings.
- Verifies that raw material, drawing and tooling are in
agreement with work order book from which they perform
- Obtains drawings, tools, and materials as needed. Rebuilds,
adjusts, changes, grinds and modifies tools as required, while
maintain department tool inventory.
- Sets up machine by installing and adjusting tools, positioning
and aligning fixtures, parts, clamps, setting feeds and
- Submits pieces on machine.
- Positions pieces on machine.
- Performs various turning, boring, facing, milling, keyway
machining, polishing, etc., operations as specified or
- Uses measuring devices and ensures accuracy of measuring
devices and gages as required.
- Burrs and polishes all parts to a final finished condition
using hand tools and any specialized machines. Deburrs parts as
- Adjusts, changes and dresses tolls as required.
- Grinds non "T" number tools from blanks as required.
- Lubricates machine as required, wipes and keeps machine, tools
and work place clean and in proper place. Does other minor tasks o
include checking gages, flow meters, coolant strength, air filters,
etc. as well as logging RFID data from preventive mainter
monitoring equipment, using hand held RFID collector and the
necessary PC software.
- Reports defective material, equipment and tooling to
appropriate management personnel.
- Observes all safety rules
- Reports production count, time and identifying data by use of
data collecting machines.
- Performs necessary operations to establish set up points, on
parts being set up, in their own machining cell.
- Inserts taper of downloads CNC program to the machine control
using DNC. Operates machines manually as necessary.
- Presses proper CNC or other machine control buttons to initiate
- Uses forklift truck, hoists, cranes and other material handling
equipment as required.
- Perform crane hooking as required.
- Identifies parts.
- Creates simple CNC programs using the machine controls MDI
- Edits CNC program using the machine editing capability. Records
data or changes on manuscript and set-up sheets as
- Updates edited CNC program to file server or network.
- Completes set-up sheets and records programs and other
pertinent data as required.
- Stores programmed machining data on tape punch, floppy disks or
retains in memory as required.
- Makes adjustments to the machining cycle as required t make
parts from drawing.
- Reviews the daily workload schedule.
- Interprets drawings (part and tool) and sketches, special
engineering instructions, short forms and instructions.
- Performs all necessary set-up and machining operations for the
VBM's and 5 Axis mills to manufacture required parts.
- Performs all part and tool verification requirements using
various measuring instruments and machine probe systems including
completing of data sheets.
- Utilizes DNC Network
The above statement reflects the general details considered
necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified
and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the
work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Must be able and willing to work 1st -(7am-3pm), 2nd -(3pm-11pm)
and 3rd (11pm-7am) shifts. Shifts are not guaranteed and are
subject to shift realignment. -
Must be able and willing to work overtime, weekends and
Equal Employment Opportunity
Elliott is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action
employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic
information, disability, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by the federal, state or local laws of the
United States. Applicants and employees are protected under U.S.
federal law from discrimination.
Keywords: Elliott Group, Penn Hills , Vertical 5 Axis Mill Operator, Other , Jeannette, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!